Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

"See mother, I make all things new."

Happy Easter! I hope everyone's Easter was preferable :)

My first Easter as a married, creating and loving every minute of the traditions my hubby and I make together. And how cute it our little Easter Bunny!

It was quite the nutty weekend in Victoria. A huge storm blew in on Friday morning. Many of
the ferries were delayed or even cancelled. Sleety, cold rain. Trees blew apart. And the Easter Bunny rose anyway.

Despite the gross weather, we celebrated the Easter I love so much. Mom and Cami called WAY too early but I was nice to hear their message. They called after bawling through the Hallelujah Chorus just before we did. We sat in peace with our respective mugs of coffee while the hot cross buns baked. I missed the 'add-ingredient beep' on my dough setting so they are essentially hot cross swirls with the fruit swirled in like Cinnamon Buns. No cross only because I find Venetian Cream totally gross and I only had so much improvisational genius in me at eight o'clock in the morning.

I've had so many wonderful people lately to have beautiful conversations about Jesus! I like this! I think Van will be such a great move for us because we already have a church community that we're so excited to become a part of.

We went for a spirited (aka blustery) walk downtown to Silk Road for some tea but we really only ended up smelling their bath salts a little too deeply and I wandered around, elbows tucked, at the prospect of knocking precious tea paraphernalia onto the floor. But oh the teapots. They speakah my language! And while we were doing this my man got his ears pierced! He wants to stretch them and put in plugs but until then he's soakin' them in salt water for the next eight weeks.
G'ma reminded us of the story where G'pa showed up at Church with a beard and after someone asked him
about it he said that his wife was growing a beard on his face. I think there's a bit of this in Matt's posts but I think think they look muy sexy. It also temporarily satisfies my desire to have a new piercing when I don't know what I want.

The three of us on Easter Sunday night, took communion together, Matt made a wonderful Thai rice wrapper meal and then we watched the Passion of the Christ. Oh my. Oh my, is all. While there are aspects to the movie that aren't maybe my thing, I think it is a breathtaking portrayal of truly what Christ did for us. Every time one of the Roman guards would spit in Christ' face, I couldn't help but realize that he had them in mind when he died for the sins of man. I was reading a bit about the movie and it is said to be very pro-Catholic, ala Mr. Gibson, which is partly because of the films emphasis on Mary. That, I think, is one of the coolest parts for me. When Christ is carrying his cross to Golgotha, and Mary is trying to get to a place where she get to him and there are the two scenes of her seeing Jesus fall as a boy and then seeing him there, falling under his cross, beaten and broken. I think when we talk about Mary in regards to Christ as a man during his ministry, we tend to forget that Jesus was Mary's son, in the sense that she gave birth to him and raised him. My G'ma told me about a speaker she heard who said that as any parent would understand the 'mother bear' kind of reflex that flares up when one of your children are hurt. Don't you think Mary would have done something to stop his pain if she could have. But Mary understood the plan. She understood what needed to happen. Ever since the Red Tent, I've loved the beauty of finding strength in the strong women of the Bible and to seek out and understand their stories.

*We also watched this video when G'ma was here. Love this movie. And Rob Bell is a very long person.

No comments:

Post a Comment