Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

I'm an odd soul...

Eff this city.

Seriously. At 530 this morning, I was obscuring any exposed flesh on my face with all manner of woollen things. *And may I preface this by saying that it's not really that cold here. Yesterday it was -13 here with the wind chill. In my feeble whining my sister slapped me up the acclimatized back of my head when it was -39 where she is. Jesus takes a snow day when it's that cold.*
But this morning, when I'm disgruntled and tired in the wee hours at the end of my week, when I'm stressed about my first test, when I do not want a repeat of the frozen finger misery of the day before but I'm impressed that I got my shit together and was walking out the door by 615, I was basing my preparation for the day on the information that I had available to me. Namely, the assumption that yesterdays winter weather would be todays winter weather. But you know what they say about people that assume things. THEY BECOME HARSH AND RESENTFUL HUMAN BEINGS. I walk out of school, with all of my woollens -my ABSORBENT woollens may I remind -all of my school laundry, my heavy ass textbook and my baked goods into SLEET. Sleet is a four letter word in my world (even though it's a five letter word). I let the expletives fly the whole fifteen minute walk home, wherein my boots came untied (frantic pom pom action) and became completely drenched, my toque fell over my eyes and due to my heavy-laden-ness, I couldn't even fix it. I came home, swore at my boots, put on some sweatpants and made myself some tea. Now I feel better. Good grief Bankybear.

And now it's Friday. On the weekend I tend to eat three square meals a day and get enough rest. This is why we have a weekend. At school right now, we eat wonderful meals prepared by the culinary students and that is easily the best (and sometimes only) meal I eat all day. I don't' eat in the morning and then when I get home, I'm tired enough that sometimes I manage myself a smoothie but then that's it for the rest of the day. Sometimes I don't even manage that. It kind of sounds like my life is harsh but to be honest, my walk home today was the first moment in the past three weeks that I haven't thought "My life is bliss". Life is wonderful right now. When I make it home, I am TIRED. But my mind is still active. (That makes me sound like I'm decrepit or something. I'm 22. I sure hope my mind is still active.) All I need is a good forty five minutes where I sit in our comfy chair and don't move. I get to blog and hunt down recipes. My mind doesn't stop when it comes to school related things pretty much until I fall into bed.

I've been posting quite a bit on The Oven Wall which has been fun. I've posted a lot of Moozh's stuff too which always looks so pretty. He made a puff pastry yesterday that looked so tasty! I've learned croissants (which I'm determined to try out again this weekend) and we just started our cookie unit after breads, quick breads, and viennoiserie which is breads like brioche and hot cross buns. I'm trying to make a list of things that I want to try out once I get to advanced kitchen. We'll have an opportunity to do a little bit more and have a bit more fun. Red wine bread, banana bread with sourdough are among them. If anyone could issue a challenge, I would love the inspiration.

I hope to get some good picture of croissants over the weekend. In the meantime, this is what I'm going to deal with:
 And you can't see the bag of danishes that has migrated westward or the loaf of carrot cake that is still on the counter. This is all from this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment