Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Lentil

So I realized that I totally missed Ash Wednesday. That's what happens when you're not going to church and you also never look at a calendar. Hmm.

I'm not one of those people who feels that when Lent comes around YOU HAVE TO GIVE SOMETHING UP. IT'S WHAT YOU DO. But last night, Matt and I went to church and the pastor was preaching about how to we, in our actions, say yes and no to what the Lord calls us to. And I think that Lent is one of the ways that I can say 'no' to what I feel keeps me from him and keeps me selfish and feeling bad about myself.

I want to give up negativity for Lent. It sounds totally hokey whenever I say it but that's what I want to make a point between the Lord and I that I want to give up those thoughts. I don't want those thoughts towards myself, towards other people, or towards the opportunities that the Lord puts in my life.

In my WS class we're talking about consumer culture. There is a site called about-face.org and they organize ads and music videos into 'offenders' and 'winners' in the battle of women's body issues. I love this one. People magazine, who knew?

Who gets to decide who's beautiful? Who decides what is of value? I tear up every time I think about my best friend and how friggin' inspirational she is.
"I love the way I look. I honest to God, LOVE the way I look".
I want to raise my daughters with that. I want to embody that for them. I want to honor the body that God gave that works flawlessly and who gave me a husband who loves every inch of me even on my gross days.

5 weeks until Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment