Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Little Black Sandals

"Anyone belonging to the Way..."
Acts 9:1
I loooooove this.

Matt and I have this wonderful time at night, after everything has wound down, and we're laying in bed before we go to sleep. We'll read, or putz on our computers but once we are there, we stay there. This is my time in the Word too and there is something about the simultaneous-ness of these moments, my time with my love and my time hearing the words of my God, that always inspires me and leaves me sleeping happy.

In faith, we are not just adherents, we don't merely end up in the same place at the same time. We belong, we are kept, we are loved. And we are loved by The Way. "I am the way, the truth, and the light." This, I think, is part of why I'm a little exhausted by the North American model of church. It is for adherents, it is something you 'stick to', like a diet. Weird. To belong to the Way, is to belong a way of life, to a journey*. I want people to know that they matter to me, that I am invested in how they are really doing. And I want the same. And church is sooooo awkward!!

*I am a bit of a product of my upbringing when I use this word. The church I grew up in, for all it's faults, emphasized the importance of the journey. Anyhoo.

So as blogs slowly take over my life, I find that the ones I love totally nourish things in me that have been on my mind or bugging me. Matt and I have are seven months into our first year here and though we have had so much time to be just the two of us and to nurture our marriage which has been glorious, we are both finding it quite lonely. It's been hard to connect with quality people out here. It's a very transient city and so, consequently, it's hard to put down roots. But it has prompted really cool conversations between Matt and I about what we want for our life and marriage, and making decisions that benefit our marriage. I want, and need, to be pushed. I desire so much people, women, around me to talk and journey with. (Ther's that word again!) BohoGirl is a soulful and truly lovely woman and she writes such a cool thing on her blog here about once when her entire family was sick:
"You know...I am not sure I could have handled all of this at once if it wasn't for the few days I had spent with some extraordinary women. It was just such a huge confirmation to me how important it is for women to gather, to circle around one another. When all is aligned, it feels so effortless and grounding. So, I thank them for preparing me for the week ahead"
I am almost beside myself because my wonderful best friend is coming to visit me!! This year has been really good for illustrating to me my need for community. I have seriously hermit-ish tendencies and this year was definitely the year for the Lord prodding that out of me. And what's funny today is at the U, the last day of elections for the students' society was today. One of the platforms for the one party was 'creating community'. It is something we all rely on so heavily without realizing it but it is so easy to realize once it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment