Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

One thing I appreciated about a small University was there was always a place to sit

Day one of Brianne vs. hugeness population.
"I not only want to sit. I want an entire table to myself."
UVic improperly prepared me for this. So did Mount Royal. Maybe since this is round three and I am experiencing a rude awakening, the common denominator is me...

Altogether a good time though.
I have dunked my head in the boiling, thick water that is the Russian language and have found it's not too bad. I have a good handle on the most useful facets of learning a new language like, "Hello", "goodbye", and "No, I'm sorry I'm from Canada". My teacher said we shouldn't bother learning "excuse me" because they never say that in Russia anyway.

One of my creative writing courses this semester is Writing for Stage and Radio. Whenever I think of a radio play, I think of those hilarious ones from the forties (this is first hand experience obviously) where they would do murder mysteries and dramas and there would be hysterical crying, gunshots and shrieking orchestral strings. I don't know, kind of like this. Then I thought of Stuart McLean. He is the KING of radio monologues. But that's the thing. Stuart McLean is awesome as Stuart McLean. People send him in stories and then he Stuart McLeans it and suddenly the most inane story of a man getting a flat tire on the side of the road makes me stop in the middle of the sidewalk and squish my cheeks together in a fishy face because they are sore from laughing so hard. The man has a gift. But we don't want Stuart McLean to be merely the voice, no one wants the pressure of writing for Stuart McLean and then listeners sitting in their cars/living rooms/back rooms wondering "whoa what happened to Stuart McLean?", we want him to be Stuart McLean. So in the small and admittedly monopolized world of radio drama has yet to really be tapped into. But when it has, UBC has a class for that. And has for a while.

I'm part of the Regent Spouses Network (there is no joiner-ish activity possible that I'm not signed up for this year). The kick-off is tonight. Everyone has to be baited with coffee and doughnuts in order to do anything but signed up on FB and all. Time to make friends! Everyday of classes last week I was on the Regent campus (even though I don't even go there) which I think was slightly misleading for people who actually go there because they associate me with people they for some reason need to know and remember the name of. Which is so very sweet. But I'm not trying to remember their names. I bought a bible at their bookstore and then returned it and then bought another one and then bought cards and then saw my husband and then stood around looking awkward and therefore...I am someone to know.

We had a wine and cheese party at our place on Saturday which was...amazeballs. Super fun. Everybody brought and wine and a cheese that would go well with it. We had chocolate and grapes and all of this stuff that people say goes well with wine when really it takes good with wine because it tastes good period. And then we played this game called "Things" which is kind of like Balderdash and was likewise very funny. And then we played Cranium which is an outrageous game. Do you know the names of two Governor-Generals from before Confederation? Well we needed to know that. Seems...obscure. But it was so fun. Scott and Jo are mega game people. And then Jesse, Jo's brother, is a mega games person and then we had some 'undecideds' and 'strongly agrees' so it made for a great game. Most of them were from church and are such great people. And then Matt had a friend from Prairie who now goes to Regent as well that is hysterical. You know the fishy-face thing? Anytime around BJ is like that. She should meet Stuart McLean. So they stopped by. And great cheese and wine and assorted hilarity ensued.

It has been so great being home and being in our community. Small group starts up this week. There were so many great ones and we prayed a lot through two in particular and we felt the Lord was leading us to support Scott and Jo in theirs which is going to be so great. We have kick ass conversation even when we're not in a small group setting so I think when everyone comes really focussed for Jesus time it'll be so good.

We're hitting the rainy season here. But I have so many wonderful scarves and boots and sweaters and fall is my favourite time of year so needless to say I am, yes, very excited about this too. The 12 Project that I'm doing with Lacey is so much fun and our theme for September is take a picture in your favorite coffee shop. I'm really invested in a piece that I'm working on right now that's not a school project but it's a story I came up with during the summer. I take one night a week and I get out of the house and write. I get myself some tea and chill out in a good spot (preferably by the plug in) and then just sink into it. If I can make a habit for myself I can actually begin to see growth and change in my writing. That will make it so that when I am writing for school and for a deadline that I don't feel like I'm drawing up squeaky wheels.

Baka!
-Bye (In Russian!)

No comments:

Post a Comment