Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sweet disposition

Oh introversion, how you never cease to surprise me.

So today, despite all of my ambivalence and general weenieness about what the formidable "orientation" could hold for me, today was actually hilariously fun. Fun is maybe an...amplification of terms but I met some really fun people and they made the day truly enjoyable.

There were some hiccups. Like all of the creative writing programming I signed up for not being available to me because it's only for third-year creative writing students. But at least I wasn't the only person to do that. All of the other transfer students ran into the same thing. And the creative writing department was no help. Which...again?! And then there was a pep rally and a bouncy castle -which why do we wonder some this generation have an unextinguished reputation for living with their parents past 30? The Vice President of the university gave a speech that sounded like a Dr. Seuss poem. Everyone in the Faculty of Arts forgot the cheer and thus rebounded with the beer-bong standby of screaming your head off. It was a very post-secondary day. And I totally remembered all of the assorted accoutrements I plague myself with. I am the only adult who not only admits to but swears by the lifesaver that is the idiot string. Where would I be without that thing?

And then (which is really a beforehand kind of situation), on Sunday Matt and I were massively social and totally made friends with church people all on our own. The unrivaled Scott and Jo were out of town so when it came to making conversation we did not have our gregarious, super-talker buffer that we normally have. But we ended up spending the entire day with a group of about twenty-five people. We played disc golf, ate burritos and engaged in playfully teasing all of the single Christian people because really who doesn't like to be on either side of those conversations? I am still sore from the frisbee golf. I have the distance of a junior high shotput player and, judging from my general upper body, extremely poor form. But one thing that Westside has in spades is great community. There are remarkably wonderful human beings that go to that church.

We're plugging into a small group this fall which we are both very pumped for. Scott and Jo, being the 'people about town' that they are were picked to lead a small group this fall. And it's up at JJBean which has smotheringly good coffee. It's not super close to us. Probably a half hour by bus. There are some other small groups right in Kitsilano, like we can see it from our house. So we're thinking and praying through which one we're going to settle on. I'm so excited for the things that the Lord is bringing into our lives right now. There has been this marked shift since we moved to Vancouver. I love Victoria, even still, but there is something about Vancouver that I think the Lord was preparing us for on the Island. Now we're here and it seems like so much is coming our way and falling into place.

Wheee for links!
~ This is fascinating to me. I'm not sure how Matt would be willing to eat it but we tried out the crust recipe and it is awesome. My only suggestion would be if you are going to put sauce on in addition to toppings, put the bare crust in and toast it for a bit 10 minutes and then onto pizza as per routine :)
~ I am obsessed with doilies. But not the crusty ones from estate sales and Sally Anne. I want to crochet some sweet ones and do something like this with them.
~ Holy...amazeballs. This is immaculate. And probably not cheap especially with mangoes out of season. This makes us sad. Matt and I always keep assorted nuts in the house to add great texture and convention pine nuts were $8/100g! Why the -why?
~ Awesome cuz it just is.
~ I love the idea of having a low bed. Arie had one for a long time that she could tip her nose to the edge of her mattress and smell the carpet. It's probably fun for me because I've never suffered a pull-out couch or slept on an air mattress ad infinitum. Fun for me!
~ This is so freakin' Oh my gosh. So cute.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment