Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

As promised...

Hmmmmm.
The goal:
via Smitten Kitchen. 
 The result: 

I would not put cream cheese on that. 

So the artisan bagels haven't kicked ass like the artisan bread has. They came out looking a little, dare I say, flat. And they were still doughy in the middle. I should have listened to myself the three times that I looked at the dough and said "That looks a little wet." Having wet dough and then boiling it in water doesn't foretell anything that contains the adjectives, "light", "airy" or "cooked" really. Unless you're cooking spaetzle I guess. I am determined the find a good bagel recipe. Man, it is an involved process to make bagels but I have a deep appreciation for freshly baked bagels and I am not hindered by these things that more resembled a toddler's teething ring. The above picture is Smitten Kitchen's bagel recipe and they look definitely worth a shot. 

I really want to continue with yeast breads. My friend Beej made an impressive looking challah from Smitten Kitchen. I don't' know why I had this ridiculous perception of challah that it was a ridiculous recipe and required almost a full day. Smitten's looks approachable enough. I'm going to give it a shot before Yom Kippur is over.

Maybe not hilarious as the "Cookie Monster Cupcakes" but still a good exercise in humility. Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Haa, this is funny. I just want to say that my challah was shitty. Warm out of the oven it was good, but then...it went back to its burnt on the outside, dough on the inside character. Dangit! But your bagels don't look half as bad as the challah, so...maybe you can school me?

    ReplyDelete