Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

"See Jesus, see Judas...See Ceasar, see Brutus."

This is pillaged from a 'Blog of Note'

10 Things about Myself that I think are interesting:

10. I'm going into debt for a degree that won't get me a job. Creative Writing is a blessed department but it houses the people in the world who will be asked 'Where do you wait tables?" after they tell people what they do for a living. Going to school won't make me a better writer. It will make me a more aware writer. It will arm me with connections, possible publication credits and lots of constructive feedback but the quality of my talent relies heavily upon my passion for growth and my humility.

9. I'm a year into my marriage and I'm twenty-one. I am twenty-one chronologically at least. Age is a disarmingly amorphous concept for me. I don't feel twenty-one because I don't have any idea of what twenty-one is supposed to feel like. I'll be twenty-two in a couple of months but when I say that I find that no expectations boil up within me. I don't know if being married
saved me from all that. Marriage has absolutely been the most enlightening, emboldening, dynamic and refining experiences of my life, of life period. No I'm not too young. No it's not always a cake walk. Yes it is the best. The best.

8. I'm obsessed with words. I love them. I love how they sound, I love how they feel, I love how they act and what they mean. Taking another language has proven that to me. Assonance and alliteration. Syllables. Consonants. It is all great. Tickling. Jamaican ginger. "Sail in the frail bark of flesh".

7. I am already a published author. I don't actually count it among the things I brag about (like the facts that I have a hot husband or that I'm learning Russian). It was an amazing experience and it taught me a lot about who I am as a writer and what it takes to be a mature writer. Becoming a mature is still a ways off for me but I at least know some of the things that are required. The published (and unpublished) writers I know I respect very much because they all learned it the legit way.

6. I come from a very peculiar, gorgeous French-Scandinavian family. Each and every member
of my family I hold a great amount of respect for (even though at times I do not like them). Oo menya yist dve costri (I have two sisters) ee adeen brata (and one brother). They are some of
the most creative people I know. My parents are just freakin' real. They've done real shit. They've seen real disappointments. They've been through the actual trying times of life, everything from "I hate my job" to "I hate myself" and they are still here and they are not afraid. They are powerful.

5. I am a Christian and that is one of the most conflicting statementsof my personhood. I am aware in a way I can't ignore that I (and therefore my life, thoughts, and actions) do not exist in a vacuum. I've struggled since I was in junior high, staring at the Jerry Falwells and the George Bushes of the world to try and associate what I believe as the same as them. But then I look at the Rob Bells, the Donald Millers, the Henry Nouwens of the world and I absolutely adore who they are and what they stand for. I do not only believe in Christ, I have given my life to him.

4. I absolutely had more fun as a blonde.

3. I love my in-laws. Legit. Some people have horror stories about their in laws, which in most cases is just people being...people. It's the family you got without a choice by making a choice to make your own family. Matt and I went on vacation with his parents this summer and it was so so so awesome. They make me laugh.

2. I have three scars. One is on my left eyelid from when I had chicken pox as a kid. Now eyelashes don't grow there anymore. One is just below my left eyebrow. I was hit in the face by a metal clothing rack when I worked retail after graduation. I had an awesome shiner for a couple days. And I got workers comp! The last runs all the way up the inside of my left calf from when I was landscaping before I got married. It's about 8 inches long and I scraped it against a piece of plastic poking through a garbage bag. And now it's here forever.

1. I play the trumpet, I love to dance and I sew. I'm not Miles Davis, Mia Michaels or Maria Von Trapp but those are things I love. I have a beautiful silver trumpet from a beautiful grandfather of mine. I have hips that sway from everything from the national anthem to Stevie Wonder. And I made my wedding dress and I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment