Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

*Ya Zn-eye-oo moy moozh ochen sympat-ichni

Bloggity blog.

Life is busy. We are busy. I have resorted to my post-secondary diet of something slathered in peanut butter. That is how I get my daily dose of protein and corn sugar.
(Did you know that they are trying to rename high fructose corn syrup to corn sugar. It's so that people don't panic when they see it in EVERYTHING. Kind of defeats the purpose if you're telling everyone. "It's the same thing we're just calling it something different." They talk in the article about HFCS being no different from sugar nutritionally and that there's nothing fundamental to it that is bad for you. But it's in EVERYTHING and it's never in a reasonable dosage. It's mega syrup in everything from bread to batteries to chocolate milk to soda pop. This is my soapbox.)


















We have plans that do not include (or even really accommodate)
anything school related every evening this week. That is rare for us but we are engaging our community, and pushing ourselves out of our shells and good for us and all that. Whew. Good friends, great conversation. Thanksgiving was fun and it already seems like such a long time ago.

Workshopping will start up soon hopefully. I did a really great job of making the snow ball and then setting it down on level ground so nothing has happened as of yet. We'll find a hill somewhere. This is Vancouver. The application to Creative Writing is at the end of March. Let's all be praying for this and I will write my fingers to nubbins in the meantime, yeah?



























In Russian today, she talked to us a little bit about major cities in Russia, like Moscow and St. Petersburg. Seeing pictures of the landscape and the cities filled me with this desire to go there so bad. I was at a meet 'n' greety thing last night that was really fun and there was a girl there who taught English in Eastern Europe, specifically Moldova. She said there is such a profound need for people to be invested in those cultures. They are third-world in their economics and their society but they are first-world in their values. It is in that push and pull that everything breaks down. I don't know what I will do when we get to Russia but I believe God has put it on my heart all these years (almost a decade!) for a reason. Apparently, a Russian writer described St. Petersburg as like a lady: a total mess during the day but once the sun sets she shines and stops you dead.
I'm far better at night than I am in the morning too. I totally get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment