Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Listen to the mustn'ts then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child, anything can be." Shel Silverstein

I have to start telling myself that I can't drink coffee after dinner. Ever. Because when I do, I turn into Rosie O'Donnell. I'm loud, digressive. Oy. And I usually end up talking to people I am really rather fond of and then kicking myself later as I try to gag myself with a sock. Rereading that, I make it sound like I'm drunk. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me: DRINK WATER.

It is fall. I think it's official and I only think it's official because it was foggy yesterday and has been raining all day. My weather compass is only so forgiving and the "spring" we had turned my weather-heart to stone. Or at least a semi-precious rock. But I got to wear my Fall clothes which made me happy. Layering is tough on the West Coast. Everything has to fit under a rain jacket which really doesn't breathe very well, so usually by midday you come back smelling like the inside of a rain boot.

Started some training at a bread bakery today because I obviously eat through jobs like goldfish crackers. Management turnover at the cafe I was at before and not only me but everyone else is also out of a job. Luckily, I had a kick ass opportunity right around the corner (aka the next day). This job will mean some EARLY mornings, basically before God is up but it's all good. He'll have some fresh bread, baked by me, ready for him when he gets up. Today was the first time that I felt a pang of nostalgia for school. But I thought through it and what I thought I was missing out on. And I realized, though I wish I was taking my Conversational Russian class (that's the only class I missing!), the only thing I was missing was the physical movement of routine. I miss waking up, picking out my clothes, waking up on the bus ride to school, grabbing a coffee before class, having the anonymity time of the academy. Besides that, I realized I don't miss UBC at all.

I'm feeling it's a Simple Daybook kind of day because my days are all over the place lately.
FOR TODAY
Outside my window… Rain. Blech. It's fall. But I bought in and had pumpkin spice latte yesterday. I'm a sucker.
I'm thinking...
I'm thankful…
From the Learning Rooms…I am trying to relearn all of the Russian I forgot over the summer. All I remember how to say is "I eat pizza with my hands". Not good.
In the kitchen…Newly baked caraway rye artisan bread. Win!
I am wearing…new skinnies and a tank with wooden beads. It's a mix of weather appropriate wear.
I am creating…Smitten Kitchen posted a recipe for peach butter (as opposed to apple butter) and I'm pretty stoked to give it a shot. The lemon-grapefruit is gone (Thank God! I was putting it on everything!) so I have an empty jam jar that needs fillin'!
I am going…the Alibi Room tomorrow. It's a sweet pub/restaurant in Gastown and our friend Todd is having his birthday there tomorrow night.
I am wondering…how I'm going to handle 'bakers hours'. 4 o'clock starts. Whoa.
I am reading…Flannery O'Connor. Moozh bought me one of her anthologies for Christmouse and I haven't even cracked it yet. I love her interpretation of gothic.
I am hoping…to spend tomorrow afternoon buried in some writing.
I am looking forward to…dinner with friends from the Reeg on Saturday! Some old, some new. I have a majestic cake planned and Moozh will pull one of his epic meal times out of a hat. It's gonna be a gooder.
I am hearing…Yukon Blonde. I have to give Florence and the Machine a break. Yukon Blonde is kind of a cross between Sloan and Fleet Foxes.
Around the house…a half finished baby blanket. Moozh's beer training book. The carnage left over from making bread.
One of my favourite things…Fall! The leaves are turning and that has to be one of my favourite things in the whole world. One of my Seven Favourite Things? Hmmmm…..
A few plans for the rest of the week…Seeing good friends. Praying over what this fall looks like and this year. Counting down the days until The Adventures of Tin Tin: Secret of the Unicorn comes out. Ya know, big stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment