Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

"The whole world's wrong and that's what's the matter." Thorton Wilder

So much for an Indian Summer. A girl I work with (I got a job!) is from Australia and she arrived in April. She was commenting earlier this week about how bummed she's been about the weather "lately". I almost didn't have the heart to crush her dreams of a crisp but sunny Canadian fall. But then I did. And THEN I compared vegemite to marmite. Big mistake. (Also: I have been introduced to the Australian 'Milo' and no other chocolatey, malty drink will ever do again. Thank you Tania.)

My job is a'ight. I work at a bakery that many of you in Alberta and BC probably go into frequently and buy great bread. It's a good place though the dorky uniform is a bit of a blow to my pride. All good! My pride needs a knock now and then, especially when I start thinking I'm too good for a baseball cap. I think I may graduate soon to a baking position which would be awesome. Then you get to wear the baker's cap which looks like you draped a hot water bottle on your head. But no one (not even God remember?!) is awake to see you. The bakery has just started carrying pumpkin scones as part of the fall promotion and we were absconded by people that felt the emergence of pumpkin harkened the oncoming of fall. Which it does. 

Today was an excessive form of precipitation. Saturday the North Shore was supposed to get 50 mm in a night! That is seri-yus. It is already at the point where people would be typically complaining about the fact that it's dark when they go to work and it's dark when they come home from work. Except they don't because you don't see the sun during those hours anyway. 

I think now working at a bakery, I'm going to buy a gym membership. Yep. And I've given myself a "fifteen pound window" where I will simply eat and not ask questions. Beyond that, my body and I will have to talk but until then, Operation Eat Food is a go. Capital go. Yesterday I took a Food Safe course which was, aside from painfully boring, totally gross. Especially because it is eight hours of discussing how to prevent food borne illnesses that cause food poisoning. Like Norwalk Virus which is transmitted when someone doesn't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Or Staphyllococus when people don't ways their hands after invading their nose. Capital yuck. 

**These are the things that will begin to creep into my blog at more regular intervals. My apologies in advance.

The one thing that I am MEGA excited for today is the Vancouver International Writer's Festival. Last year I only made it to one reading at which I totally crushed out on John Gould and bought his book and had him sign it while I blushed furiously. And this year John Vaillant and Chuck Palahniuk are going to be there! And Anthony Bourdain! Those will likely be sold out sooner than I can get my act together but those are the ones I'm most excited about. Peter Behrens and Miriam Toews are coming too but I could likely just hang around outside Creative WRiting stuff at the Yoob and see them by chance. Not that they are relegated to 'less exciting' status. But Chuck Palahniuk! If I see Anthony Bourdain, he will be my John Gould. Blushing for serious. 

Anyway, I'm feeling depressed because of the rain and that is why my thoughts are more disorganized than usual. 
L'Chaim.

No comments:

Post a Comment