Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Hold me closer, one more time. Say that you love me in your last goodbye…"

Y'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!

I'm back on the wagon and it feels awesome. Back in class, back in my running shoes and (my mom would be so proud of me) I made myself a list. We'll call it a "personal goal sheet". And we'll all know it's a list.

I ran 10K yesterday + I didn't feel like I was going to die = Victory

Although I did reserve last night for writing and instead I made soup. And granola bars. And did some filing. And watched the hockey game. (Bankybear won!)

Finished The Handmaid's Tale and it was awesome. If you like dystopian novels, like I do, you should do what I did and take out all of Margret Atwood's books from the library. I'm reading her newest one now, Year of the Flood, which is really different. The thing with dystopian novels is they always deal with the degradation of society due to social or cultural influences. So the tension that you need to make a novel compelling is already built into the landscape of the novels. I'm curious about Atwood's religious opinions. I'm sure I could find them somewhere. But both the Handmaid's Tale and Year of the Flood deal with a degree of religious extremism that is contributing to the social tension. It's a really cool concept and written so well. Though, I think Atwood took too many liberties with her reader's ability to discern what she was talking about.

It's back to cloudy here. If this summer is not sunny, as every person who has lived in the lower mainland for more than five years has promised us it will be, I may have to run into the middle of the street half dressed and rip something in half using my teeth, partly just because I think it would be a good use of the energy I've been waiting to use up. But I coach myself often, just think of the positives. Thank you Jesus, it is so green here. Thank you Jesus, that it is not still snowing. Thank you Jesus that I can enable myself to bake things I shouldn't be eating every time it starts raining. I've been wanting to start up a picture of the day but they are all coming up overly dim because of the lack of light source.

My nutrition class is really good. It requires chemistry of me (scary!) but it has to do with food so I actually find it interesting. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would tell me all of these crazy facts about food preparation and storage. Food chemistry. My teacher brings in foods to function as teaching aids. Go figure, we've been dealing with Fruit-to-go and marshmallows. I appreciate her.

Today was a good Tuesday. I hope you had a good Tuesday.

P.S ~ Couple friends are great. They are super hard to find but when you do find them, hang on to them.
P.P.S ~ I haven't even thought about Russian since my exam. I'm going to head back in September and have to start over again :( Ya ne-vesela.
P.P.P.S ~ Ellie Goulding was on SNL last weekend and I realized I totally forgot how much I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment