Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

"I want to be the only one for miles, many miles. Except for maybe you."

We got a new stove! I've pretty much been telling everyone I see (bank tellers, the person next to me on the bus, small children) that I am in fact getting a new oven. And I don't even have to pay for it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make a terrifying old person.
But back to the stove because this is a moment where multiple things going wrong wasn't my doing. I burned I don't know how many things, including my hands, "dabbling" in the kitchen and feeling like a freakin' failure when it came out looking like tar that's been ripped out of the road. (I have been up close and personal with fresh tar in fact. Story for another time.) So our landlord provided us with a thermostat to measure what our stove actually reads at. At everything from 200-400 degrees it was reading 600 degrees Fahrenheit! You could fire pottery in that! So I felt better about my culinary abilities. A little bit. I'm still trying to find an excuse for all of the stovetop mistakes.

So in lieu of oven-related crafts, I've been making a lot of salads. I made this salad, which was so tasty.
from What's Cooking with Mary?

Make it. Not my picture. I have finished taking pictures of my food. I feel silly doing it and the pictures always look a little off to me. I finished it off with a little balsamic vinegar which blew the strawberries out of the water. And yes the other salad I posted was an edamame salad as well. They pretty much make up at least 25% of my diet.


Edamame Salad with Strawberries and Basil
1 ½ cups shelled edemame, cooked
1 cup strawberries, diced
½ red pepper, diced
¼ cup red onion, diced
¼ cup fresh basil, minced
½ jalapeno, minced
1 tsp honey
Juice of ½ a lime
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

Combine in a bowl and let sit to marinate.


Moozh and I go to a Russian restaurant this Saturday for a dinner hosted by the Russian department at UBC. I think it'll be a little awkward, totally hilarious and I will definitely be full by the time I leave. On the invitation it mentioned dancing which I'm assuming means Russian dancing.


To which, Moozh will just say no and I will end up dancing with a girl and laughing so hard I slobber. That with lots of perogies and sour cream, sounds like a good time right? Right.

Moozh is finished his exams tomorrow. Woooot! My man is officially one year deeper in a Master's Program. He was saying the other day one of his classes was teaching him to be a 'Jack of all trades, master of none' and that in his Master's he would like to master something. I laughed SO HARD.
Now if it would just stop RAINING I could get to my tannin' and time wastin'. Smarten up Bankybear.

How cute are these? Now if I could only get something to grow in them….
Revision at Etsy


P.S ~ I have restricted my 'recreational computer time' aka food blog surfing. And believe me it needs to be regulated. Ooops.

No comments:

Post a Comment