Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"I don't need to get steady. I know just how it feels. Tellin' you to get ready…"

My sister in law is officially a big kid and graduates from her program in 18 days. Which blows my head right off my body (And as my Dad used to say when I would flip out as a kid, "little tiny pieces of Brianne all over the ceiling.") It makes me think of when I graduate and how freaky and monumental and somehow simultaneously anticlimactic. Which also makes me think of WHAT WILL I DO THEN? I'm going to graduate with a BFA which is the most useless degree ever. It's a fun degree that does not necessarily get you a fun job. I may end up typing up abnormal medical results in a yellow lit office the size of Harry Potter's bedroom somewhere , "gat-ah-gat-ah-gah-ah", all day long. Or there is always a clicky pen tester.

Basically, I am prematurely stressing out. Which is so unlike me...

And so I've been surfing, because that is simply what happens to my brain when I have a lot to do. It gets up from it's proverbial desk and puts on a sombrero. And when that happens, I am subject to it's whims. It makes me read blogs and watch the Food Network. It MAKES ME DO IT! I came across a food blog (NO WAY!) and this beautiful vegan lady, Oh She Glows, posted something about "graduation fears". It's a beautiful way of articulating that if you get to the end of your education and realize, "Oh crap", that it is not the end of your life. It is something we all inherently know, deep down in the part of us that still dreams even though we step on it and throw garbage at it, that our education is not who we are and that we can always course correct, we can always choose a new way.
*She also makes kick ass blondies.

Easter is coming. And I wish you could see my face right now because I am so serious. (And I am having a weird hair day.) I am so gleefully excited for hot cross buns and sunshine (Bankybear better not cheap out on that this year. IT HAS TO BE SUNNY). Matt and I might go away to Whistler that day and just spend a day. At first I wanted to plan a big thing where people come to our house and I cook and it would be all brunchy and fun. And then I stopped being excited about Easter. So I nixed that idea and now I am back to being excited. My Gram was with us last year and it was so nice and low key. My hot cross buns were less than stellar. Even in the picture they look kind of like tires. Smother them with enough butter and jam and they taste fine, but this year, THIS YEAR, they will be different. I have come a long way in my breadmaking since then.
All I can tell you for sure about Easter Sunday is I'm having a beer. Longest 40 days of my life. I'm kidding of course. It hasn't actually been that hard (SERIOUS!) but I will definitely enjoy the first imbibing.

Beautiful
LemkaB at Etsy
Look at the cute buttons! klardar from Etsy


These are the colours of my kitchen
LynnCardwellPottery at Etsy
Do these earrings come with her face? If so, I will take them.
TribalStyle at Etsy
Happy Wednesday! Friday's not that far away.

P.S ~ Sister-in-law in Russky is za-lov-ka, which I think sounds nice for my 'love sisters'.
P.P.S ~ I just found out that my favourite restaurant in Cowtown, The Coup, has a cookbook. Which means I need it. Basically. I love it when restaurants put out cookbooks because then I feel like I could tip myself after I feed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment