Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Not ready to make nice, not ready to back down"

What was your favorite song this year? Five years ago? Ten years ago? Twenty?

NaBloPoMo has considerably made up for the lame question they prompted last week. This is a similarly awesome question. Awesome but difficult because there are simply So. Many. Good. Songs.

My favourite song this year? John Butler Trio came out with a new album this year! So did John Mayer. Assassin from the former I listen pretty much on repeat. So cool. This is Revolution by John Butler Trio. Their vids are piii-yump. Since we got to Vancouver, I've been listening a lot more to worship music. Doesn't mean I'm crossing over okay? No Focus on the Family and Modest is Hottest t-shirts for me. Phil Wickham's You're Beautiful is perfect. And Hillsong (I KNOW OKAY?!) do a version of Desert Song that usually brings me to tears. My album of this year though (not that it came out this year but the one that I can't stop listening to) is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford soundtrack. Longest title ever but magical. The piano and the creaky violin. Nick Cave is an Aussie genius.

Five Years Ago? I was sixteen years old. Oh boy. I was tucking homemade skinny jeans into vintage high heels and sculpting my mohawk to defy gravity. When I look back on my musical taste at that time, I'm really not too embarrassed of it. I was getting into the Red Hot Chili Peppers with Arie. I pretty much lived on RadioBlogClub and that's where I found out about The Innocence Mission, Blonde Redhead and Caravan Palace. All good music. And the album of choice of the year was most definitely Moulin Rouge. Reminds me of eating focaccia from the Bee Bell Bakery with Mama, Arie and Cami on Arielle's birthday roadtrip to Edmonchuck.

Ten Years Ago? I was eleven so this will be more embarrassing. I KNOW I was listening to Hanson and being suitably obsessed. I think this was also the crossover period between Hanson and N'Sync. Yeah I was one of those who proclaimed that the Backstreet Boys sucked balls (of course I didn't say that then) and went with the runner up. Even fewer were those who favoured 98 degrees. At least I wasn't one of those.
*The halloween party we went to last weekend put on "Backstreet's Back" during the dance party and it was friggin' awesome. A whole bunch of twenty somethings who knew ALL THE WORDS. Ultimate win for the Backstreet Boys.

Twenty-Years Ago? I was probably listening to "Jesus Loves You" or something from the Donut Man. Just coming up on your second birthday, I doubt there's a lot of autonomous choices. This prompt would be infinitely cooler if you were writing in your forties and you could reflect on Simon and Garfunkel. Or even my partner in crime who did the whole 'grunge' thing! Awesome. I feel so left out.

Christmas Project! Not that I don't already have four (count 'em) handmade (aka sewn) Christmas gifts to make. I am so so so excited for them because I know the giftees will love them but I am forcing myself to start now so that it doesn't come to the day before we leave for Cowtown and I'm sobbing because I sewed over my finger in a rush.
But these wreaths are so cute. I probably wouldn't go quite so far with the felt flowers but instead swap it out for some plaid wraps/bow-things.

No comments:

Post a Comment