Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

We are yours, and yours is the kingdom

Are you spiritual, religious, agnostic, or atheist? Do you think there is one path to God, or many?

I like what G.K Chesterton says. "You can either get your head into the heavens or try and get the heavens into your head. But it is the man that tries to get the heavens into his head whose head explodes." And it's when we get caught up in the humanization of spirituality that I think it gets lost. Matt wrote a wicked and very articulate paper on the belief that what is meant by theos is become unified with God even in our mortal life, to embody his characteristics and his "likeness". It is not, as some would say, pantheism, for us to strive in this but the aim of our faith.

I find Christianity very conflicting. Matt and I are church shopping right now after being at a church that, for all the reasons we left, really helped us to clarify what we are looking for and what is important to us. And my fuse is so short on many of these things. It gets under my skin and I get really angry really fast. I find it amazing and in some cases so sad how people can believe certain things.

As for salvation, I believe that there are many paths that can lead you to encounter God, that can shake you out of who you are to see him. But I do believe that when Christ says, "It is only through me..." that he really means he is the only way. And there is peace in that. There is peace in knowing that our Saviour, who is full of grace and empowers us to live and better and more fulfilling life, that is his goal to get us there and he is willing to put all of who is he is and all of who we believe him to be into that.

I get overwhelmed talking about these things lately. If only I believed myself to be funnier, different, more captivating topics than this would be easier to write.

These things make me happy now.

  • Chai eggnogs! The red mugs are back. Shits getting real.
  • Plaid circle scarves. Like THIS ONE! Anything autumn coloured lately. It's mine.
  • Pumpkin. I'm totally not done with it.
  • This song. :)
  • Shearling lined jackets. I live in mine. Live in it.
  • Having a cuddle buddy every night.
  • Real mail! Like handwritten, fun mail where you have your name handwritten on the front and who wrote it to you likes you.
  • When people are just authentic. We went to Tenth Ave Alliance and they were just so real. The announcer (who is the church intern) was taking her time with the announcements and then she pauses, "So we're actually waiting for the worship band to get here." And from then on the night was relaxed. I wish I was more authentic at times.
P.S~ This is a great song.

No comments:

Post a Comment