Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

"And I'll find strength in pain, and I will change my ways...."

I just spent three hours on ConceptArt. Operation Avoidance is a go.


We just learned the Genitive Case in Russian today. Off the top of your head, with your knowledge of grammar and, in most cases, twelve years of schooling behind you: What is the Genitive Case? It's about possession which sounds simple enough. And then you get a nosebleed because you JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND. Although, I have discovered words that make me smile and I do my best to focus on those (to the detriment of my GPA): shapka (hat), kookla (doll) and greeby (mushrooms). I also learned 'Kah Chore-too" which means "Go to Hell". It was in my textbook and is therefore an important aspect of a functioning knowledge of the Russian Language.


My lovely, lovely friend BJ is learning Hebrew right now at Regent and every time she talks about it I want to learn it too. I'm not a genius at learning languages but I like languages and it's a struggle I enjoy. The phonetic, auditory aspect of languages are so great. I think French is beautiful too but I would want to learn REAL French, not the weird hybrid Canadian-French that just puts 'le' in front of everything and assumes that that makes it French.


Kurt Halsey. Link
I want to take this quote and paint it on our wall one day. We are not allowed to paint in our place (and I'm not totally sold on banners. Prove me wrong.) but when we can, adorable.


Ooooh Visual Artists. You have a skill I do not (and may never and I'm okay with that) and I will stalk your blog. Like Alberto Cerriteno or Bittersweet Enmi, DeviantArt and ConceptArt. In my gender theory class, I'm in the presentation group of Gender and Art so I'm minorly obsessed with various forms of art. Gender Theory makes me super sensitive to gender representation and how people are represented objectively and how they represent themselves. In my segment, I want to look at the representation of masculinity in post-modern visual art and I'm finding myself drawn to video games which is, as I have mentioned earlier, not my strong point. Studying masculinity may not go over way huge in my class ('It's the patriarchy'; 'why study men when they are so well represented already?'; 'Waaaaaaaaaaaah, you suck!' And then I get hit with a pizza.) but I feel that masculinity is in desperate need of a revolution. By virtue of the sexual revolution and the suffragettes, femininity has slowly chipped away itself and culture has consequently come to see it differently. There haven't been any relevant movements in masculinities since before the first world wars. We still carry around this Marlon Brando-Burt Reynolds, machismo garbage that everyone has to be James Bond and MMA all at the same time. Which if that's who you are, awesome. But if you're not that way and you're constantly feeling the barrage of not being manly, or being feminine (which is brought up as being a bad thing) what do you do? That's a problem. Dudes, you can like special face lotions if you want. You can be picky about glassware. You can take proactive measures against hangnails! That doesn't make you not a man.


Just try and NOT be groovy while you listen to this song. It's not possible. It's just like "I Got Mine" by the Black Keys and "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" by Cake.


Oh and by the way, the more I learn about copyright, the more I think I am majorly guilty of copyright infringement. TGIF!

No comments:

Post a Comment